Skip to content

Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage

If you are planning to marry in the Philippines, guidelines are listed below.

The specific requirements may vary from one part of the country to another, and also depending on your particular circumstances, so you and/or your Filipino fiancée /fiancé should enquire about these from the local marriage authorities of the city hall or municipality in which your Filipino fiancée/fiancé habitually resides (where he or she has lived for at least the last 6 months).

In general, the Philippine government requires all foreigners to obtain a "Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" from his/her embassy before filing for a marriage license. This certificate affirms that there are no legal impediments to the proposed marriage. Please note that the certificate is valid for four months only. 



Danish nationals must appear in person at the embassy in Manila and/or Consulate in Cebu and Davao.


  • Original and updated Certificate of Marital Status (Ægteskabsattest) issued by the Kommune where the Danish national is registered. This MUST be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Denmark (Apostille stamp) prior submission to the embassy. For legalization procedures, please click here for information.
  • Valid Danish passport

Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage is valid for 4 months from the date of issuance of Certificate of Marital Status. Processing time is three (3) working days.  

Please ensure that your civil status is updated in Det Centrale Personregister (CPR).


Additional information:  

  • The Philippine government may require an official English translation of a divorce decree or death certificate;
  • Divorce decrees may not be automatically recognized in the Philippines. Danish citizens who were previously married in the Philippines and are intending to re-marry in the Philippines after obtaining a divorce in Denmark (or elsewhere) are advised to seek legal advice or contact the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) to confirm procedures on how the foreign divorce decree can be recognized and enforced in the Philippines.

For information on registration of foreign marriage in Denmark, please refer to the website of National Social Appeals Board.