Skip to content

Residence & Work Permit (More than 90 days)

Applicants who are going to study, seek family reunification, work (also as au pairs) etc. for a period exceeding 90 days must apply for a residence permit.The Danish Immigration Service outlines the general requirements for residence and/or work permits to Denmark. All applications for residence and/or work permit will be forwarded by the Embassy to the Danish Immigration Service for a decision. Applicants will be informed by the Embassy when a decision has been reached.

How to submit your application?  

If you have a residence permit on the grounds of family reunification or asylum, or if you belong to a special group e.g. if you have residence permit on humanitarian grounds or on the grounds of strong ties to Denmark, you can apply for a permanent residence permit digital (online). For more info about how to apply for a residence permit, click here.   
Alternatively, you may lodge your application IN PERSON directly at the Visa Application Center.

Information regarding submitting your application may be found in the Visa Application Center website, click here.

It is advisable to complete all necessary documents before lodging your application to avoid any delays.


Finding the right application form

In the right column you can download the Danish Immigration Service's Form Guide with links to all the application forms for residence and work permits for Denmark. Please use the guide to download the appropriate application form.

Each individual form comes with step-by-step instructions. Please read and follow the instructions carefully. Collect all the required documentation before submitting your application.

For information about the fees to be settled, please click here



The Embassy forwards all applications to the Danish Immigration Service in Copenhagen for processing. Once the Danish Immigration Service has reached a decision they will forward the written (letter) approval or refusal to the Embassy, which will be sent to the applicant.

Third-country citizens who require a visa to enter Denmark will in addition to the written approval letter also be issued a long-stay visa for Denmark in their passport. The Embassy will issue this visa. The visa allows them to enter Denmark and upon arrival they must obtain a residence card from the Danish Immigration Service.

If the Danish Immigration Service refuses your application, a letter of refusal will be sent to you.

For information of the Danish Immigration Service's processing times, please click here.  . 


Original passport

You must present your original passport upon lodgement of your application.

Application Forms