Skip to content

Marriage in the Philippines

If you are planning to marry in the Philippines, guidelines are listed below.

The specific requirements may vary from one part of the country to another, and also depending on your particular circumstances, so you and/or your Filipino fiancée /fiancé should enquire about these from the local marriage authorities of the city hall or municipality in which your Filipino fiancée/fiancé habitually resides (where he or she has lived for at least the last 6 months).

In general, the Philippine government requires all foreigners to obtain a "Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" from his/her embassy before filing for a marriage license. This certificate affirms that there are no legal impediments to the proposed marriage. Please note that the certificate is valid for four months only. 



Danish nationals must appear in person at the embassy in Manila and/or Consulate in Cebu and Davao. To obtain the Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage at the embassy, please book an appointment during the consular hours. No appointment is needed to obtain the certificate in Cebu and Davao.


  • Valid Danish passport
  • Original and updated certificate of marital status (Ægteskabsattest) issued by the Kommune where he/she is registered (valid within four months after date of issuance).

Please be advised that the original certificate of marital status (Ægteskabsattest) MUST be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Denmark prior submission to the embassy. Otherwise, the request will not be processed.  

The processing time is three (3) working days from the day of application. For handling and consular fees click fee.

Additional information:  

  • The Philippine government may require an official English translation of a divorce decree or death certificate;
  • Divorce decrees may not be automatically recognized in the Philippines. Danish citizens who were previously married in the Philippines and are intending to re-marry in the Philippines after obtaining a divorce in Denmark (or elsewhere) are advised to seek legal advice or contact the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) to confirm procedures on how the foreign divorce decree can be recognized and enforced in the Philippines.

For information on registration of foreign marriage in Denmark, please refer to the website of National Social Appeals Board.

NOTE: Please bring the exact amount.  You may find the fee schedule here.



Generally it is not possible to get married at the Danish Embassy or Consulate here in the Philippines. Instead, kindly contact first the local civil registrar where you intend to get married.

Wedding ceremonies are not included in the normal tasks of the Danish Foreign Service, these can only take place at Danish Diplomatic Missions exceptionally and only in cases where persons due to their work – in practice mainly seamen engaged in foreign trade – or due to other long-term absence from Denmark are prevented from being married in Denmark, and only in countries where it is not possible to be married in a normal manner, i.e. before local marriage authorities such as a church or a general register office (civil marriage).

It is a prerequisite that possible marriage ceremonies performed at a Danish Embassy/Consulate are accepted by the host country’s authorities.